school safety through “rose”-colored glasses

Our family had a nice Saturday. A work commitment I had mid-day was canceled, allowing us time to go together to the zoo to meet the new calf, Lily. It was a cold, rainy day, so few people had ventured out, which meant we had unlimited time in the indoor area watching Rose and Lily together. In the afternoon, Ian, Elena and I started on some Christmas cookies and they had a blast. Peanut butter blossoms are ready for consumption and the sugar cookie dough is ready for baking and decorating tomorrow. Jeff shared some happy news from work today, and I FINALLY got Ian’s “new” room somewhat organized so that he actually has a bedroom back after several months now. (Even HE thanked me!)

Later, I hopped on the computer and got caught up on the latest news. I saw the names, some photos and learned that all the students were first graders, just like Ian. Sadness came rushing back, and as I told Jeff, I think this the first time since 9/11 that I feel guilty for going about my happy little life when so many others are suffering right now.

Continue reading